Welcome to the home page of the Graduate Program in Animal Sciences (ANSC)! Our program is a joint venture between the Department of Animal and Avian Sciences and the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine. Join an exciting group of dedicated professors working in cutting-edge areas of the animal sciences. We offer M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in four broad research areas:
- Genetics and Cell Biology
- Reproduction and Development
- Nutrient Utilization and Metabolism
- Pathobiology and Infectious Diseases
Our research emphasizes the production and health of livestock, the effects of animal agriculture on the environment and the care and maintenance of wildlife, either in zoos or the natural environment. Read more about our Research Programs.
The Program has a long and successful track record in placing graduates in professional positions in Colleges and Universities, the biotechnology industries, human and veterinary medical institutions, and Federal and State Research Institutes. First place positions for former graduates include post-doctoral fellowships or research positions at premier Universities (Johns Hopkins, Harvard, Yale, California Davis, and Wisconsin), NIH, USDA, the Smithsonian Institution and the National Academy of Sciences. Read some success stories of our former students!
- Department of Animal and Avian Sciences ranked 9th in the U.S.
- University of Maryland, College Park located in suburban Washington close to world-class government research institutes and a thriving biotechnology industry
- Opportunities to collaborate with scientists at:
- Graduate Assistantships guaranteed for all accepted applicants