College of Agriculture & Natural Resources
Animal & Avian Sciences

Dropping With a W


Factors to consider when determining whether or not to drop a course with a W 


1. Number of times a student can attempt a course:

A student can only attempt a course twice. All attempts at a course (including withdrawing with a W or failing the course) count as an attempt.

Students may petition to repeat a course a 3rd time, (see Exceptions to Policy) but exceptions are only given in “rare and extraordinary circumstances” in which a problem is “out of the control of a student and not predictable.” Requests are not guaranteed and are considered on a case-by-case basis. Students who would require a 3rd attempt to pass a course fundamental to the major may be required to switch out of ANSC. 

2. What is the "freshman forgiveness" (repeat) policy? 

To help freshmen and transfer students adjust to the UMCP campus, the following two exceptions allow for the cumulative GPA to be calculated so that only the higher grade is included. However, any grade earned in prior attempts of a repeated course will appear on the student's transcript, regardless of whether the grade is dropped from, or averaged into, the cumulative grade point average:

  • When the repeated course was taken within the student's first semester at UMCP
    - or -
  • When the repeated course was taken within the student's first 24 credit hours attempted (including transfer credit, but not including AP or IB credits) or within the semester during which the student reached the 24th credit hour attempted.

3. What is considered a passing grade for ANSC?

Please review the Minimum Grade Policy for ANSC. Note that students who were enrolled in ANSC Spring 2016 or prior will remain under the old policy.

Make sure you carefully read and understand the Minimum Grade Policy as it affects you, including the requirement for a 2.0 GPA in major required courses.

4. Benchmarks and progress in ANSC

Make sure that dropping a course will not put you in violation of ANSC Benchmarks. Students who are not meeting benchmarks and not making timely progress towards their degree will be required to change into a new major.

5. Repercussions of going below 12 credits: 

12 credits is the minimum a student needs to be enrolled in to be considered a full-time student. There are several items that may be contingent upon them having this status. It should be stressed to the students that these are just some of the possible things that could be affected, and that they should speak with parents/examine their individual situation carefully before making this decision. Some of the things most commonly effected are:

  • Health insurance - health insurance providers may require an adult child to be registered as a full-time student to be covered under their parents' health insurance
  • Scholarships - most (if not all) scholarships require students to be full-time to be eligible and to receive scholarship money
  • Financial aid - depending on the financial aid package, it may be contingent on full-time status
  • On-campus housing - Students living in on-campus housing are required to be full time students. Dropping below 12 credits can jeopardize future housing.
Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2019. Web Accessibility