College of Agriculture & Natural Resources
Animal & Avian Sciences

Student Resources & Forms


When registering for classes at the beginning of a semester, read this before adding or dropping classes during the schedule adjustment period to avoid fees!

Timeline of forms and paperwork:

ALL FORMS should be submitted to the Graduate Program Office (1415A Animal Science or at ansc-gradprogram@umd.edufor documentation purposes. If needed, be sure to obtain the signature of the Graduate Director, Dr. Keefer, before submitting the forms. 

By the end of the 1st semester:

By the end of the 2nd semester:

By the end of the 3rd semester:

After Every Advisory Committee Meeting:

Mid-April, Annually:

Every year students will be evaluated by the Graduate Education Committee. They will need to submit the following forms in April:

May/June, Annually:

  • The GEC will meet with each student and send them a report detailing their evaluation
  • Every student must present at the ANSC Annual Symposium

Preliminaries:(PhD only)

Defense: (MS and PhD)

Before Graduation:



Ombuds and Grievance Procedure

Graduate Assistants are, first and foremost, graduate students pursuing an education. The opportunity to work closely with faculty and undergraduate students in teaching, research, or administrative environments is an integral part of that education. The University is committed to ensuring that graduate assistant assignments are productive, enhance student qualifications, meet funding support and workload goals, and are consistent with the educational objectives of the student and his or her program. 

The University of Maryland is an academic and collegial community. Regular and clear communication between Graduate Assistants and their advisors and supervisors is essential to maintaining an effective educational environment. Occasionally, problems may occur. A Graduate Assistant who experiences problems related to workload is encouraged to consult with his or her advisor or supervisor. Should the need arise, a Grievance Procedure is detailed in section VII of Policies for Graduate Assistantships.
Graduate School Grievance Policy

Current Ombudsperson: 


Dr. Mark A. Shayman
Professor and Graduate Student Ombudsman


2100F Lee Building
TEL (301) 405-3132
FAX (301) 314-3905


All Forms

University Links

Student Financial Aid and Scholarship Links

Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2020. Web Accessibility