College of Agriculture & Natural Resources
Animal & Avian Sciences

Internships & Careers

How can I find information on student internships/jobs? 
Resources and internship listings:

  • Get some ideas from browsing the ANSC internship opportunities page.
  • READ the emails that are sent to the ANSC and AGNR listservs. This is the primary way that the most current internship and job opportunities are posted!
  • College of AGNR website features jobs and internships with an agricultural focus.
  • Visit the University Career Center! They have extensive listings of a variety of internships, as well as holding workshops and career fairs.
  • Your advisor can be a good resource on jobs and internships. Make an appointment with them to talk about your career aspirations; at the very least they can point you in the right direction.

For research opportunities in ANSC Faculty laboratories:

  • Start by visiting the ANSC Faculty Directory.
  • Choose a faculty member and click on their name to be taken to their bio page and read about their areas of research, and the work being done in their lab. If the information on their bio page interests you, you can contact these professors by email in order to learn more about their projects and if they are currently looking to hire students.
  • If you want to do research with one of the ANSC professors, you should know that professors often choose their research students months in advance, so get started talking to professors early!

How do students get academic credit for internships? 

Students wishing to apply to get academic credit for internships must complete the following protocol:

  1. Identify an ANSC faculty member to be their sponsor. This is the person who will review the final scholarly product and give the student a grade.
  2. Discuss with the faculty member what the expectations for the scholarly product will be, and make sure both parties agree.
  3. Determine how many credit hours the student will work. The approximate calculation (based on a normal UMD semester length) is 5 hours per week per credit.
  4. Fill out the appropriate form - ANSC399 for 1-2 credits, ANSC389 (formerly ANSC386) for 3-6 credits - available on the Forms page of the ANSC website. The form must be signed by the student, the faculty sponsor, and the on-site supervisor.
  5. Turn the completed and signed form in to the Undergraduate Office. Students have to be given permission to register for the designated faculty member's specific section.

There are a few additional factors to keep in mind when a student wants to get credit for an internship.

  • There has to be an academic product that is produced from the internship. The student can't just get credit for being an intern. The product must be something like a research paper or a presentation about some aspect of the internship.
  • Students must get credit for an internship the semester they are doing it. This means if you are doing a summer internship and want academic credit for it, you have to register for those credits at UMD during the summer.
    • Students also have the option of enrolling in UNIV 099. UNIV 099 is a non-credit course which provides transcript verification of your internship without a tuition charge (although a modest fee is required to enroll). This is frequently used for summer internships or when the internship provider requires the student be enrolled for credit during the internship period. 
Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2017. Web Accessibility